Players will be judged for the painting quality of his or her army during preset intermissions during the tournament (see tournament schedule) by a professional painter. If the player earns full points under the "Initial Judging" section, they are eligible to receive an additional 15 points based on the quality of their work. The maximum points a player and earn from painting is 30.
The Painting Rubric is designed to not penalize different styles of painting. A clean factory-new and a battle-worn army can receive the same number of points if the execution on the paint jobs are at the same level. Additionally, conversions will be considered in the "Extra: Details" category and not as its own category as to not penalize players who want to recreate certain armies where conversions might not be appropriate.
- 0 points: The army is assembled but at least one model does not include at least three colors.
- 8 ponts: The army is fully painted, but only to the most basic requirements.
- 15 points: The army is fully painted, and is painted beyond three-colors. Benefit of the doubt will be given unless the army includes any unpainted models in which case the paint score will be 0.
- 0 points: Bare bases, no flock.
- 2 ponts: Basic one flock or texture.
- 4 points: Multiple textures or flock that is coherent throughout the army.
- 6 points: Bases with a variety of flocks, textures, highlights, and additional elements that is coherent throughout the army.
- 0 points: No advanced techniques.
- 2 points: Models incorporate basic highlighting/shading.
- 4 points: Models incorporate multiple layers of shades and highlights.
- 6 points: Models incorporate seamless blending.
- 0 points: The models in the army do not look like they belong to the same fighting force.
- 3 points: The models in the army all have consistent basing.
- 6 points: All models in the army have consistent unit markings, paint schemes, bases, conversions (if any) and look like a unified fighting force even if they consist of multiple factions.
EXTRA: DISPLAY BASE
- 0 points: Cooking pan, lid, case to move the army around.
- 2 points: A prepared display base for the army with some flock, painting, etc.
- 3 points: An exceptional display base that compliments models in the army with additional scenic elements.
- 0 points: No extras
- 1 point: Judges' bonus for something exceptional such as freehand work, unit markings, vehicle weathering
- 2 points: Judges' bonus for something exceptional such as freehand work, unit markings, vehicle weathering
- 4 point: Judges' bonus for something exceptional such as freehand work, unit markings, vehicle weathering. Armies that receive 4 bonus points are in competition for Best Painted.